Thursday, June 6, 2013

Next up... Bastard 50K

May was action packed with mega events and apparently I waited too long to rein in the horse.  A few too many training days strung too close together and this is what I get...

The Tuesday morning CrossFit session went well... more interval training, similar but longer than Monday's.  This time 24 minutes of kettlebell swings and jump roping, followed by wallballs and rowing.  The first workout called for 20 double-unders but since I can't do that many in 30 seconds, I had to swap for 60 single unders... also a challenge, but it turns out manageable with a stretch.  In fact, I was actually able to string together more consecutive jumps than ever before and still finish within about 35 seconds.  All well and good, except I could feel the last 3-4 rounds were stressing my left calf, but of course not badly enough to stop or anything!

Now, enter Bastard training Tuesday night and I really should have passed.  I knew my calf wasn't 100% and that I hadn't recovered from the weekend, but like most of us, I'm not always the smartest athlete when it comes to taking care of myself....  The workout?  From the top of the Eaton Canyon gate, across the bridge and up to Henniger Flats for a bunch of team squats, push-ups, dips and jumps, then home.

We were supposed to be moving at 85% capacity, but when you're Roadkill, even teamed with another Red  member, there is no such thing as taking it easy, and my teammate Joyce kept me moving at a clip that barely allowed me to speak with her... sometimes.  The rest of the time, it was just hang on her heels as much as possible and be grateful when she'd pause to let me catch up.  That gal is destined for racerhood if she can just clear her calendar enough to train every session!

It was a very cool hike up and in between gasps, we had an opportunity to get to know each other a bit.  I love these team bonding sessions and really appreciated our time together.  Yes, the rest of the teams beat us to the turn around point, even though we had a head start, but most of them were still there when we got to the top... although one team who shall remain nameless opted out of their Monte Birthday exercises and were just on their way back down when we arrived.

The pace back down was also anything but leisurely since we both enjoy a good downhill run, and we were moving pretty fast... at least I thought so.  By the time we reached the gate, it looked like the entire team had been sitting for a good hour, so I could be delusional.  I do know that by the time we got there, my calf was feeling severely fatigued and while it didn't hurt yet, I knew the soreness wasn't far off.

Yup, I was right and two days later, the calf is still too tender to foam roll and I still can't quite walk normally.  So, Wednesday and Thursday became rest days and we'll see if I'm up for CrossFit tomorrow morning.   I am stubborn, but I've not had a real injury since my broken foot and plan to keep it that way.  Worst case, I save myself for Saturday... I don't know what Coach has up his evil sleeve, but we are now done with Mt Wilson and the December Bastard 50k is looming into view, so I wouldn't be surprised to see our Saturday sessions start stretching out.

Joyce and I are determined to do it together and I sure hope our other red teammates opt in too... so Lynne, Julie, Kathy, Amy and Maggie... take care of yourselves and train regularly.  We want a full team come the end of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment