Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sterile Ninja Loop

I love the Arrogant Bastards... just when I think it can't get any crazier, we get the Ninja Loop!

BASTARDS! Tonight's 6:30pm practice will commence at the Flagpole of Foothills Middle School in Arcadia. You'll need your headlamps and your ninja uniforms. We're practicing our infiltration and exfiltration skills tonight. If you are caught or captured, you'll have to disavow any knowledge of the Team and will need to eat your map so there will be no evidence. We're running sterile tonight...or you can wear an Invictus Running Academy uniforms. Contact Simon Cooper for a black T-shirt. RSVP in comments...



The thread on Coach's post were hysterical.  Some weren't sure what he meant, but us veteran bootcampers knew... all black, or at least dark colors, and sterile meaning no Academy or AB markings.  Stealth mode...

As for the actual run, I had to map it when I got home because I was clueless while we were running.  I knew we ran awhile through the Arcadia foothills, hit a hidden entrance to the "preserve", someplace I've never been, but it closely resembled Clamshell so I figured we were following along the same fire road, just in a section I didn't recognize. In fact, no one on our team knew where we were going, so Coach assigned Dawn as our guide She did a great job!  Good thing too, because Coach kept falling back with his team to make sure we didn't miss any of the key transition points.  Dawn caught them all!  

After a good amount of fire road running, we came to something called the "rock conveyor belt?"... I think I have it right, and I think they were referring to a small dam or run off drain pool, at the top of Highland Oaks, at least that's the street we popped out on after crossing the dam, scrambling up and down the embankments and hoping a fence (hence the need for ninja mode.) Then it was just a quick race back downhill to the school.

After I got home I mapped the run and think I've recreated the route.  Not quite 5 miles and one hour almost exactly.


This evening was great fun and super rough at the same time. I love these nights the best, but the experience at the very back of the pack is not anything like the experience in the middle of the pack.  As cool as the run was, being in the very back and always being focused on just keeping up (and not falling, thanks to wearing road shoes instead of trail, duh!), and not making my team wait any longer than absolutely necessary, took a bit of the joy out of the journey. I know it's the price of being Roadkill, as I know it won't be like this forever, so until then... dig deep and just keep running... FASTER!

Note on CrossFit:

Yesterday was a Z1 recovery day... lots of technique work on pull-ups, push-ups, squats, and agility and balance beam work... which was just plain silly fun!

Today, was the CrossFit Open 13.1 and involved far more conditioning than I dared do with tonight's run, so I passed on the workout.

That's it, sweet dreams friends, and I'll see you on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment