Thursday, February 14, 2013

First a Rant then a Run...

All right first a bit of a rant, then I'll talk about tonight...

Yesterday was my 30 day check-in for the paleo challenge... ready?  Virtually no change in weight or BF percentage.  WTF!  After doing one of my typical 12 hour pity parties, I started really analyzing my food intake this last month.  With the exception of that one movie night, I'd been off sugar, dairy, grain and coffee for the last month and my BF% should have been dropping steadily. Except we're talking about carb addict Kellie here and when I really looked at my food history for this last month, I found it riddled with lots of "good paleo carbs" like sweet potatoes, plantain chips, oranges, tangerines and grapefruits... all in quantities I rationalized my escalated training required.  Ha, what a bunch of crap!

What I actually did was simply dodge the majority of carbohydrate withdrawals by substituting sources.  I am nothing if not a very creative addict!  So, no one to blame but myself.  The good thing is that since I've been as clean as I have it should be relatively simple to dial it in correctly. Here are the changes I've implemented:  Terminated Netflix (I'm a mindless eater when in front of a TV and I've seen all the current series, so I'll pick it up again when the new seasons of SOA, Dexter and Touch come out), stop buying plantains, sweet potatoes and all the awesome winter citrus out there.  I'll still eat occasional potato and fruit when in restaurants, but no more stocking it in the house.   And, I'm keeping a detailed food journal. No excuses. We'll see my standing next month.

Which brings me to tonight's run...
Bastards! A little twist to the training venue tonight at 6:30pm. Please be gathered in front of the Rose Bowl Aquatic Center just south of the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. Bring either your trail shoes or your street shoes as there will be two options available for training this evening. RSVP in comments...
Unsurprisingly, it was a small group who willingly traveled to Pasadena in rush hour.  I was very happy to have Carrie and Kathy (and Marc who was rehabbing a sore ham) for teammates.  We all opted for the trail version, and were told to run a 5k or work our way as far down the arroyo and back in 45 minutes.  Carrie led the way and set a easy pace for her, but challenging pace for me (but then what pace isn't freaking challenging for me on this team!) and we all just fell in behind her. I have never been there before so I made sure I stayed close and hung on. It was an awesome trail... relatively wide and stable with some river rock, but nothing treacherous. Carrie turned us back at 1.7 miles, opting for the 5k distance, which was fine by me, I was already feeling the heat.  By the time we got back, I was totally and completely spent.  (3.43 miles in 36:27 minutes)

I know the day will come when I'll find these runs easier, I just need to hang in there through the process.  No doubt dialing in the food will make a huge difference... that and I MUST get to bed earlier, so good night my friends.  Sleep well!

No comments:

Post a Comment